Lithium ion service batteries for marine applications
Let’s discover the reasons to switch to lithium ion service batteries for boats, yachts or other marine applications.
Indeed, the Lithium ion batteries provide a lot of benefits in terms of volume, weight and lifespan. These criteria are essential on a boat, sailing ship or a catamaran.
The lithium batteries are about 2 times lighter than classical AGM batteries. Also, they are 2 times smaller. They are undeniable assets for livable space, navigability and boats performance and other marine applications.
Why moving on lithium ion service batteries (LiFePO4)?
For equal performance, a lithium ion battery for marine application PowerBrick® is more efficient, twice lighter and smaller. By comparison to lead-acid batteries, it represents a considerable space saving especially on board. To sum up, the energy density of a PowerBrick® battery lithium (service battery) is 4 times higher than equivalent lead battery. In addition, a lithium Iron phosphate battery last around 10 years according to the use.
Besides, lithium ion service batteries have nor memory effect, nor maintenance, nor possibility of leak, neither gas emission.
The battery is the heart of the boat
Modern boats are more and more equipped with electronic devices which require constant power. A power cut on board can be a critical event during a navigation.
First of all, if you replace a lead-acid battery by a service lithium ion battery for marine applications, you can choose a 50% lower capacity to have the same autonomy. Or you can take the same capacity and you will have twice more embedded energy.
By replacing your lead-acid battery by a lithium battery is quite simple :
- Select voltage (12V, 24V, up to 48V) by assembling batteries in series
- Select battery capacity : We advise to replace a Lead acid battery by half capacity Lithium battery: a 12V 110Ah AGM battery can be replaced by a PowerBrick 12V 55Ah
- Set up branches in parallel if you need higher capacity and autonomy
Key points regarding lithium Ion batteries for boats, yachts and other marine applications :
- Smaller and lighter batteries
This technology offers the strongest specific energy (energy report / mass about 100 to 260 W/ kg) and one of the highest energy density (energy/volume).
- High lifespan
Lithium batteries can last up to 10 years
- High safety
Lithium batteries are not subject to thermal runaway as other lithium chemistries
Each powerBrick embeds a high specification Battery Management System (BMS) to protect battery operation
PowerBrick® non flammable lithium ion service batteries have a built-in Battery Management System (BMS). The BMS automatically balances cells during charging. On top of that, it monitors the voltage and temperature of each lithium ion cell that affects the operation of the battery. The Battery Management Systems also protects from any misuse or mishandling (deep discharge, unsuitable charge voltage, etc.) to ensure the battery an optimal life.
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are 100% environmentally friendly. They do not contain heavy metals (lead), nor acid.
The high efficiency of batteries (96%!) Ensures a very low energy loss in use, and therefore a better ecological footprint.
These batteries can work vertically, but also lying on it’s side without any concern. Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries can be fully discharged (Deep Discharge) without any damage thanks to the embedded electronics hosted inside the battery.
In order to correctly choose a lithium ion service batteries, think to check the:
- needed capacity (available energy for a determined period of time),
- efficiency in case of extreme temperatures,
- lifespan (number of cycles: 1 cycle= 1 complete charge + 1 complete discharge).
Our lithium ion service batteries :
- Nominal capacity : 40Ah
- Stored energy : 512Wh
- Dimensions : L: 196mm x P: 135mm x H: 172mm
- Weight : 5.25 kg
- 2 years warranty for the Lithium ion battery PowerBrick® STANDARD 12V 40Ah
- Choice of 2 or 5 year warranty for the PowerBrick® PRO + 12V 40Ah Lithium ion battery
- Nominal capacity : 55Ah
- Stored energy : 704Wh
- Dimensions : L: 228mm x P: 138mm x H: 210mm
- Weight : 7.8 kg
- 2 years warranty for the Lithium ion battery PowerBrick® STANDARD 12V 55Ah
- Choice of 2 or 5 year warranty for the PowerBrick® PRO+ 12V 55Ah
- Nominal capacity : 100Ah
- Stored energy : 1280Wh
- Dimensions : L: 260mm x P: 168mm x H: 212mm
- Weight : 13.6 kg
- 2 years warranty for the Lithium ion battery PowerBrick® STANDARD 12V 100Ah
- Choice of 2 or 5 year warranty for the PowerBrick® PRO+ 12V 100Ah