Frequently Asked Questions - PowerBrick® product line
The main differences between the professional range (PowerBrick® Pro) and the consumer range (PowerBrick® Standard) are:
- Technical characteristics of embedded BMS (especially charge and discharge power level)
- Different IP (International Protection) level of product enclosure
- Limitation on the number of battery that can be assembled in series and / or parallel
- Warranty period limited to 2 years on the standard range, 5 years for the professional range
All datasheets are available for each product, making it possible to compare the performances of the different products.
PowerBrick® batteries are using Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry (LFP) that is one of the most safe Lithium-Ion technology. This chemistry is not subject to thermal runaway, is non-flammable and is considered as non-hazardous by international regulation standards.
Each battery is fitted with a high quality Battery Management System (BMS) that ensure a safeguard role during battery operation. The BMS is designed to deliver high power in complete safety for a very large spectrum of applications,
PowerBrick® batteries are commonly used for Marine, Recreational vehicles, Golf Cart applications, CCTV, robotics, PV energy storage, etc. PowerBrick® Battery can be used for any system or application that would normally use Lead acid battery (AGM, GEL) in 12V, up to 48V.
After removing your old batteries, place PowerBrick® battery in the same way. You may use the same cables to reconnect PowerBrick® battery.
PowerBrick® lithium-ion 12V or 48V batteries can be partially charged or discharged unlike Lead Acid batteries that needs to be fully charged after use or before storage. For instance, you can leave your battery half charged for some weeks without any issue.
If you plan to store battery for a long period (> 2 month), you need to charge battery at minimum 25% of SoC (State of Charge) before storage. It is necessary to check battery voltage every 6 month during storage.
PowerBrick® lithium ion technology uses the latest and most advanced built-in battery management system (BMS) to monitor and prevent damage to the battery during use. You may utilize a Lead-acid charger with PowerBrick® Lithium battery, but some customers prefers using a Lithium charger to keep a better lifespan.
Several charging sources are possible:
- Alternator: Most alternators (marine, RV, cars) will efficiently charge PowerBrick® lithium ion technology as soon alternator charge voltage is between 14.0V and 14.6V (for a 12V battery)
- Conventional Lead-Acid battery charger: PowerBrick® Battery Management System (BMS) is designed to be compatible with standard chargers. You need to check that charger has a built-in CC/CV charge algorithm (Constant Current / Constant Voltage) and charger maximum voltage is comprised between 14.0V and 14.6V (for a 12V battery)
- Lithium-Ion charger: This is the best way to charge PowerBrick® Lithium-ion battery. These chargers embeds some dedicated charge algorithm with precise charge voltage. It also manage efficiently charge floating voltage and duration in order to maximize battery life span.
PowerBrick® advanced lithium-ion technology will provide you with 3000 complete charge and discharge cycles at 80% DoD (Depth of Discharge). After 3000 cycles, you will still have over 80% of usable energy left. In case you discharge PowerBrick® at 65% DoD rate, you can expect to get 5000 cycles.
- Example 1: One PowerBrick® 12V-100Ah battery, after being discharged at 80% DoD for 3000 cycles, is now a 12v 80ah battery.
- Example 2: One PowerBrick® 12V-100Ah, after being discharged at 65% DoD for 5000 cycles, is now also a 12v 80ah battery.
In term of time duration, If you discharge 80% of the PowerBrick® and then recharge it every day, 7 days a week for height years, you will still have 80% of usable battery energy left. This is a large increase in lifespan compared to a conventional Lead Acid battery (AGM, Gel) rated at 500 cycles for 50% DoD cycles.
Each PowerBrick® embeds a built-in BMS. This BMS is a high-tech design that manage two main aspects of battery during operation :Protection features :
- Low Voltage Protection Switch – Automatically disconnects at 10.0V
- Over Voltage Protection Switch – Automatically disconnects at 14.8V
- Short Circuit Protection Switch – Automatically and safely disconnects battery
- Reverse Polarity Protection Switch – Automatically and safely disconnects battery
- Over temperature – Automatically shut-down battery until normal temperature recovery
- Internal cell balancing – Automatically balances PowerBrick® cells during battery operation. Balancing algorithm has been developed to ensure perfect balance between cells throughout battery life.
- Charge Balancing – for PowerBrick® connected in parallel and/or in series, the BMS will balance each PowerBrick® independently, in order to provide a constantly balanced battery system.
The PowerBrick® products are designed around an assembly of sealed cells. There is no risk of electrolyte leak. The whole of the block cells and embarked electronics is firmly fixed in the battery casing.
All our batteries can be placed in any positions (tilted or lying). There is no obligation to install them upright, as for the conventional batteries in Lead/AGM.