Frequently Asked Questions - PowerBrick® product line
The main differences between the professional range (PowerBrick® Pro+) and the consumer range (PowerBrick® Standard) are:
- The Standard range uses high quality LiFePO4 Lithium cells which allow to reach 2000 cycles at 100% depth of discharge at 1C.
- The PRO+ range uses a new generation of Lithium cells, with better performance. These cells allow to reach 4500 cycles at 80% DoD.
In addition, these cells are sorted and matched for the constitution of the pack. This guarantees a homogeneous ageing over time and better performances.
- The Pro+ range uses a more robust embedded BMS that allows higher power levels than the Standard range. This is particularly useful for applications using high inrush currents (starting an electric motor, accelerating a vehicle, starting a microwave oven, refrigerator, air conditioning, etc.)
- Different IP (International Protection) level of the product enclosure.
- Limitation on the number of battery that can be assembled in series and / or parallel.
- Higher energy efficiency for the PRO+ range
- Warranty period limited to 2 years on the standard range, 5 years for the professional range.
All datasheets are available for each product, making it possible to compare the performances of the different products.
For example, here are the differences between the two ranges for the PowerBrick 12V-100Ah:
+ matched cells
3000 Cycles at 80% DoD
4500 Cycles at 80% DoD
|Continuous discharge current|
|30s continuous discharge|
|Maximum continuous charge|
PowerBrick® batteries are using Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry (LFP) that is one of the most safe Lithium-Ion technology. This chemistry is not subject to thermal runaway, is non-flammable and is considered as non-hazardous by international regulation standards.
Each battery is fitted with a high quality Battery Management System (BMS) that ensure a safeguard role during battery operation. The BMS is designed to deliver high power in complete safety for a very large spectrum of applications,
PowerBrick® batteries are commonly used for Marine, Recreational vehicles, Golf Cart applications, CCTV, robotics, PV energy storage, etc. PowerBrick® Battery can be used for any system or application that would normally use Lead acid battery (AGM, GEL) in 12V, up to 48V.
After removing your old batteries, place PowerBrick® battery in the same way. You may use the same cables to reconnect PowerBrick® battery.
PowerBrick® lithium-ion 12V, 24V or 48V batteries can be partially charged or discharged unlike Lead Acid batteries that needs to be fully charged after use or before storage. For instance, you can leave your battery half charged for some weeks without any issue.
If you plan to store battery for a long period (> 2 month), you need to charge battery at minimum 25% of SoC (State of Charge) before storage. It is necessary to check battery voltage every 6 month during storage.
The PowerBrick® battery is a traction or utility battery designed to deliver high levels of current.
Depending on the type and displacement of the engine, the battery may not be suitable for starting the engine.
Check that the starter current level is compatible with the maximum current that the battery can deliver.
If you are looking for a dedicated engine start battery, please see the PowerStart product range.
PowerBrick® battery has a built-in BMS that is able to limit charge current when voltage is greater than 14.4V : unlike conventional Lithium starter batteries, the BMS does not immediately cut-off charge as soon battery is reaching maximum voltage, but it will decrease incoming current using a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) device until battery is totally charged and balanced.
This innovative BMS system allow full protection and charge, even if alternator is not properly regulated or if it delivers a slightly voltage greater than battery max charge voltage.
PowerBrick® lithium ion technology uses the latest and most advanced built-in battery management system (BMS) to monitor and prevent damage to the battery during use. You may utilize a Lead-acid charger with PowerBrick® Lithium battery, but some customers prefers using a Lithium charger to keep a better lifespan.
Several charging sources are possible:
- Alternator: Most alternators (marine, RV, cars) will efficiently charge PowerBrick® lithium ion technology as soon alternator charge voltage is between 14.0V and 14.6V (for a 12V battery)
- Conventional Lead-Acid battery charger: PowerBrick® Battery Management System (BMS) is designed to be compatible with standard chargers. You need to check that charger has a built-in CC/CV charge algorithm (Constant Current / Constant Voltage) and charger maximum voltage is comprised between 14.0V and 14.6V (for a 12V battery)
- Lithium-Ion charger: This is the best way to charge PowerBrick® Lithium-ion battery. These chargers embeds some dedicated charge algorithm with precise charge voltage. It also manage efficiently charge floating voltage and duration in order to maximize battery life span.
PowerBrick® batteries using Lithium-Iron-Phosphate technology and equipped with advanced BMS system, offer the following features:
- PowerBrick Standard: 2000 charge-discharge cycles at 100% DoD (depth of discharge). 3000 Cycles at 80% DoD
- PowerBrick Pro+ : 3000 charge-discharge cycles at 100% DoD (depth of discharge). 4500 Cycles at 80% DoD
- Example #1: A PowerBrick Pro+® 12v-100Ah, after being discharged at 80% DoD during 4500 cycles, is now a 12V battery with a capacity of 80Ah.
- Example #2: A PowerBrick Standard® 12v-100Ah, after being discharged at 100% DoD during 2000 cycles, is now a 12V battery with a capacity of 80Ah
In term of time duration, If you discharge 80% of the PowerBrick® and then recharge it every day, 7 days a week for height years, you will still have 80% of usable battery energy left. This is a large increase in lifespan compared to a conventional Lead Acid battery (AGM, Gel) rated at 500 cycles for 50% DoD cycles.
Each PowerBrick® embeds a built-in BMS. This BMS is a high-tech design that manage two main aspects of battery during operation :Protection features :
- Low Voltage Protection Switch – Automatically disconnects at 10.0V
- Over Voltage Protection Switch – Automatically disconnects at 14.8V
- Short Circuit Protection Switch – Automatically and safely disconnects battery
- Reverse Polarity Protection Switch – Automatically and safely disconnects battery
- Over temperature – Automatically shut-down battery until normal temperature recovery
- Internal cell balancing – Automatically balances PowerBrick® cells during battery operation. Balancing algorithm has been developed to ensure perfect balance between cells throughout battery life.
- Charge Balancing – for PowerBrick® connected in parallel and/or in series, the BMS will balance each PowerBrick® independently, in order to provide a constantly balanced battery system.
The PowerBrick® products are designed around an assembly of sealed cells. There is no risk of electrolyte leak. The whole of the block cells and embarked electronics is firmly fixed in the battery casing.
All our batteries can be placed in any positions (tilted or lying). There is no obligation to install them upright, as for the conventional batteries in Lead/AGM.